CLAREMONT, NH—The Claremont Fire Department responded yesterday, May 27, to a report of smoke in the building at 20 Stone Avenue. This was the fifth residential fire in recent weeks. Claremont Safety Services was dispatched at 6:44 p.m. Two Engines responded to the alarm; updates from the Emergency Services Dispatch Center reported the building was on fire. A 1st Alarm was struck for all Claremont personnel to respond to the scene before arrival of the first due apparatus.
Claremont Fire Chief Bryan Burr reported that “The first fire units were on scene at 6:48 p.m. and found the home smoke-filled with a bedroom on fire. Crews quickly extinguished the flames. The fire was under control at 6:59 p.m. Mutual Aid was requested; Ascutney and Newport fire units reported to the scene while Cornish and Newport Ladder covered the Claremont Station. The single-family home, a one-story ranch, sustained moderate smoke and water damage throughout the building. One room, a bedroom, did sustain heavy fire damage. One person was home at the time of the fire and no injuries were reported. The cause has yet to be determined and the department continues to investigate the cause. All fire units cleared the scene at 8:11 PM. The home was turned over to the owner at that time.”
Burr said that the home did have working smoke alarms and is a contributing factor to the safe exit of the lone occupant and early notification of emergency services.
“We would like to inform the public and alleviate any concerns from the recent fire activity in the city that none of the fires the city has experienced are connected and none is considered arson or suspicious in nature,” said Burr. “We ask that the public practice good fire safety techniques, never leave cooking appliances unattended when in use, do not improperly use or overload electrical appliances and their circuits. Use a qualified electrician to do electrical work. Do not leave smoking materials unattended and accessible to minor children, including lighters and cigarettes. Properly dispose of them when extinguished. Never leave lighted candles unattended and keep them a safe distance from combustible material when in use. These are all measures one can take to reduce the incident of a fire in the home.
“Finally, we continue to remind and strongly urge everyone to install and maintain working smoke alarms on all levels of your home. They are your first line of defense in the event of a fire,” said Burr.
★ 2016 Copyright E-Ticker News of Claremont ★ Website by Bee Balm Productions ★